Friday, October 12, 2012

Rescue Dogs & Paulette Mahurin

Paulette's painting of Tazzie


Animals are very dear to me. I own several and understand the responsibility that goes with having an animal. My animals become my other children. My children and I pamper them and talk to them as if they completely understand us. And to some degree, I believe the animals understand us far better than most people give them credit.

To close my interview with Paulette Mahurin, the author of The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap, we saved the best for last, a discussion about one of her greatest passions, dogs. All of the proceeds from her book go to her local animal shelter, Santa Paula Animal Rescue Center or SPARC, to help defray the cost of caring for the animals at this no kill shelter.  http://www.santapaulaarc.org/ This shelter takes in unwanted dogs and cats, gives them all their shots, and has them spayed or neutered before letting them out for adoption. Click on that link and check them out. They are a small shelter and I'm sure they would love help of any kind.

For 15 years, Tazzie, Paulette's beloved, rescued Rottweiler, stood by her side. She was there for her when Paulette acquired Lyme's disease that raked through her body with meningitis, arthritis, and even partial paralysis. It took time for Paulette to recuperate, and Tazzie was there for her. In honor of her, Paulette turned to the only no kill shelter in her small county and asked if she could help.

"It's the only no-kill animal shelter in the county where I live. Seeing the faces of the sad, horribly depressed animals, in cages awaiting death, because they were born, that's their only crime, no one wants them, and their life will be destroyed. This shelter takes in animals and each one has a chance at life. I can't think of anything more precious. Dogs are one of my greatest passions. I can't imagine a world without them and as long as I live I will do what I can to adopt and help them when I can. It fills my heart that I can give profits to this worthy cause."

Dogs and cats have a way of finding their way into our hearts. Animals don't really ask for much more than some love and attention in order for them to be completely devoted to you. They will snuggle with you when you're happy or sad. My own cat has come and gotten me when my youngest son was having a seizure in another room. I've had dogs put themselves between me and harm's way. I have a dog right now putting his head in my lap with his wet muzzle thanking me for feeding him. Animals help my heart beat. They make me the Tela I am. I'm sure there are many more of you out there who feel the same way.

Thank you, Paulette, for giving so much or your time to do this interview. You are an inspiration to people everywhere.

Happy Reading!
Tela



2 comments:

  1. It's been such a wonderful time with you, Tela. And, you my friend, are an inspiration also, a voice for abused women and sanity.
    Love,
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Paulette. You are a beautiful person! I'll be glad to help you anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete