Saturday, March 17, 2018

Sugar kick!



As I sit here writing, I am thinking of how much sugar I used to consume while writing. I have gone a month and 3 days with no extra sugar of any kind on anything. No candy, no cokes, no cake, nothing with sugar. I am AWESOME!! LOL!! It is amazing just how much sugar we consume without even realizing it! My son had a soft drink the other day and happen to notice it had 77grams of sugar and 77grams of carbs in it. Wow!!! For a diabetic that equals shock! For a non-diabetic maybe you just gave it to yourself! Does a person really need that much sugar? Well, that kind of depends on some things about you.

I have a history of diabetes. I had gestational diabetes and told that I probably had the beginning of Type 2. Well, great. I thought I couldn't cut out ALL sugars, but I have! It is lent season and I've never restricted myself during lent. However, I decided this year to really do something in honor of lent and God. I gave up sugars. God helped me. My boyfriend has helped me, as well. He's eating less sugars, but not a complete give up for him. My son has not given up sugars either. This is a personal thing that you have to want to do for yourself in order to do it. Without that desire to go without, you will find every excuse possible to eat it. 

What's been the hardest thing for me? Coffee without sugar. I love coffee. I think half of me is made of coffee, not water. Nope, I bleed coffee. I used to put 2 rounded teaspoons--not measuring teaspoons, but the spoon that comes with the sugar jar--into each cup of coffee. Not bad if I only had one cup of coffee per day. No, try 4 cups of coffee per day. I told you, coffee aholic here! So, that was mucho grande of sugar every day. Not to mention how I love to make pastries. Yum!! I am sure my neighbors miss my baking! I used to bake all kinds of things and take them a treat. Not lately. 

So, I am completely sugar free. I feel better. My skin feels better. I am sure my wallet appreciates no runs for candy! I cannot, however, convince others to kick the sugar habit. That's on them. I wish I could rub off on people! I can't. Do I miss sugar? Yes, I do sometimes. Until I rub my face and feel the difference in how my skin feels now compared to how it used to feel. My clothes fit better. I can breathe better. I don't want sugar like I used to want it, not even in my coffee. We will have to talk about those sweetners I use on another day. ;-)

Peace and Love,
Tela

No comments:

Post a Comment