Wednesday, April 18, 2018

My Container Garden



 One thing that makes me truly happy is playing in the dirt. From the time I can remember, I was delighted to get my pants dirty by making mud pies under the pine trees. Playing in the dirt is therapeutic to me. That dirt under my nails and the coffee in my hand is free therapy for me and you!

I don't really have the soil to plant too much in the ground. Plus, I already had numerous pots in the garage. I just got them all out yesterday and filled some with some of the dirt from other pots. I just had to plant some of my seeds!

I bought seeds at the dollar store for $.25 each. That's a steal! No, they are not organic and they probably are from last year, but hey, it's a seed!

Memory lane moment! Does anyone remember going to Hunts and Wright in Boaz, AL? It's no longer there, but it was THE place to go for all our seed needs as a kid. I remember how my parents would get the garden tilled and ready for seeds. We would go to that store and the smell of the place would just make you warm with the thoughts of sunshine. He had the big seed bins and scoops for all the different plants. He had bundles of onions and cabbage and strawberries on his sidewalk. We would get all kinds of seeds: green beans, squash, eggplant, okra, watermelon, and anything else we wanted. He had it all! Mom would have him stack up our seeds, then walk outside to the live plants. We always bought live tomatoes, not seeds. We also bought this little bundle of cabbage that could turn into at least 100 plants when separated by Mom! On a funny note, Mom asked me to weed the carrots one time. I pulled up all the carrot plants instead of the weeds. We laughed about it and I replanted the carrots.

I planted herbs yesterday as well as peppers of 3 different varieties to include bell pepper, cayenne, and some other kind I can't remember now. I planted some marigolds in a hanging pot for my courtyard. I need more of those because they are supposed to deter mosquitos. I'll keep you posted on that one! I planted some chives. I really like chives! They are yummy little onion sisters. I also planted some basil and parsley, as well as oregano and Thyme. In a bed of some flowers I also planted some lettuce seed and spinach seed. Popeye will appreciate that! ;-) I still have a few things to plant like cucumbers and green beans. I love green beans! Last year I had a bumper crop of cucumbers growing but the birds decided it was a buffet. Couldn't keep the cuties out of them! I will have to come up with a scarecrow and things to keep the birds out of the garden. I also want some berries and I think I will plant an apple tree. I really like apples, especially with peanut butter!

I also discovered I have the purple flowered clover in my yard. It's in the photo right in the middle. I am excited!

After all my planting yesterday, I decided to sit and relax in one of the most peaceful spots of my backyard.
Today, I need more potting soil.

Peace and Love,

Tela




No comments:

Post a Comment